A vegan cake slice, nice with a cuppa or as a pud with a scoop of good quality vanilla ice cream.
Dried apricots are one of the richest fruit sources of iron. They also provide useful amounts of beta-carotene, which is converted in the body into vitamin A, as well as some calcium and dietary fibre.
Olive oil is high in monounsaturated fats and very low in saturated fats. Olives and their oils are thought to be a factor in the low rate of heart disease in Mediterranean countries where the oil is used extensively.
And this traybake is really easy to make: perhaps one to bake with the kids?
Makes 12 slices
This is what you need:
200g dried apricots, very finely chopped (or buy diced apricots at Holland + Barratt or Sainsbury’s)
35g desiccated coconut, toasted in a dry frying pan until nicely brown
4 tbsp date syrup (from Middle Eastern shops)
200g creamed coconut (1 block)
200g porridge oats
2 tbsp olive + a little extra for greasing the baking tin
This is what you do:
- pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas 4
- lightly oil a rectangular baking tin c20 x 30cm (I use a brownie tin) and line the base with a strip of baking parchment which will make it easier to remove the cake later
- put the apricots in a saucepan with 500ml water, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until the water has been absorbed and the apricot pieces softened
- melt the creamed coconut over very low heat
- put the oats into a large mixing bowl, pour in the oil and work it into the oats with your fingertips
- add the melted coconut cream, date syrup and 1/3 of the apricots
- mix well
- spread half the oat mixture in a layer over the bottom of the baking tin, pressing down firmly with your fingers as you go
- spread the remaining apricots over the oats, then spread the remaining oat mixture on top of that create layered traybake
- sprinkle the toasted coconut flakes evenly over the top
- bake for 25-30 minutes until firm and golden brown
- leave to cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into 12 bars
Enjoy! Happy baking (it makes the house smell wonderful)!