This cake contains eggs + yoghurt, but no butter. The semolina and ground almonds give the cake a really pleasing texture.
Perfect with a cup of tea (Lady Grey) … or could serve as a pudding with creme fraiche perked up with some lemon zest and a drop of Limoncello.
This is what you need:
200g granulated sugar
3 large free range eggs
50ml rapeseed oil (or sunflower oil)
200g natural bio yoghurt
50g grounds almonds
150g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
finely grated zest of 1 1/2 lemons
handful of toasted, flaked almonds (toast in dry, hot frying pan for a couple of minutes – watch out: they’ll burn quickly!)
This is what you do:
1. pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas 4
2. lightly oil a rectangular brownie (or other cake) tin, c25 x 15cm, and line with greaseproof paper
3. in a large bowl mix the eggs, oil, sugar, yoghurt, semolina and ground almonds
4. add the lemon zest
5. sift in the flour + baking powder and gently mix with a spatula
6. pour the mixture into the tin and level the surface
7. sprinkle evenly with the flaked almonds
8. bake for c25 minutes or until risen, golden and the top feels firm
9. let the cake cool before cutting into 12 squares
Do send me your comments (and a picture of you tucking into the finished article…) if you are going to bake this cake!