Pumpkin soup has rarely tasted so exciting!
Great, simple recipe which will warm the cockles of your heart.
You will need:
1 litre of chicken stock (preferably fresh but stock cubes will do)
3 cloves of garlic
500g pumpkin (peeled weight)
15g fresh root ginger (about the size of your thumb)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp chilli flakes
This is what you do:
1. if using, dissolve the stock cubes in 1 litre of boiling water
2. peel + roughly chop the onion and garlic
3. gently soften without colouring in 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat with 1/2 tsp of salt
4. peel + finely chop the ginger
5. add the coriander seeds, chilli flakes and ginger, stir and cook, covered with a lid, for 5 mins
6. peel and dice the pumpkin
7. stir the pumpkin into the onions, cook, stirring constantly, for 2 mins
8. add the stock and bring to a simmer
9. simmer for 15 mins or until the pumkin is soft
10. blitz in batches in a food processor
11. adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper
12. just before serving, add a squeeze of lime + freshly chopped coriander
This recipe also works well with carrots and butternut squash.
To make the soup more substantial, you could add a blob of fresh goats cheese.
Serve with good bread or thin multi-seed Ryvita crispbreads.
Just the thing for (Saturday) lunch after a walk, football practice or work in the garden.